Over 25,000 Successful Students Since 1992

(780) 463-9664
4715 – 92 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada T6B 2J4
(403) 347-0544
#1 7611 – 49 Avenue
Red Deer, Alberta
Canada T4P 2J8

What can I drive with my Class 3?

First of all, in Alberta, you can’t get a class 3 license until you have held your class 7 for one year, then driven with your class 5 GDL (graduated driver license) for 2 years. Then you take an “exit ” exam to clear the GDL off your class 5.   Once you finish doing that, then your Class 5 becomes your learner license in Alberta for all other classes of license, even motorbikes. You can’t upgrade to 4,3,2, or 1 until you clear off the GDL.

The funny diversion is you don’t even need to upgrade from class 5 to make some serious cash driving in the oilfield. There are a number of service jobs, and delivery services that work some crazy hours and miles on a class 5. Class 5 drivers are often driving vehicles capable of grossing out at 17,000 kg in a f450 and a gooseneck trailer. I hope they are careful drivers, because that kind of weight can be difficult to stop with electric brakes on the trailer, and could easily push beyond the braking capability of the truck. That’s why some provinces have the restriction that the trailer weight can’t be too heavy for the truck pulling it. As long as you only have a two axle vehicle pulling a trailer with no air brakes, you will only need a class 5 license in Alberta. If you were a Saskatchewan resident, you would need a class one for pulling the heavy trailers. BC residents need an extra endorsement for pulling heavy trailers or recreational fifth wheels.

A class 4 driver’s license is for commercial people carrying functions, like taxis, limos, small buses (max 24 passenger), driver instruction. It requires a medical examination to apply for a class 4.

A class 3 license is for driving a property carrying truck with 3 axles. Typically they have Air Brakes, so the driver will have to have a Q endorsement to drive these trucks. They may pull a trailer without Air Brakes. Once the trailer involves air brakes, then the driver needs a class one with air brake training and a medical examination. A mechanic might have a class 3 license so he can test drive a bobtail tractor. Every class of license involves a written exam that most of us would fail if we don’t prepare properly for the exam.

Class 2 is for driving the big buses. It requires a medical and air brakes, and is good for for driving the class 3 trucks and the ambulance (class 4), and the big buses and coaches. Fireman often acquire this license so they can operate both ambulances and straight body trucks.

Currently there is no distinction whether you take your class 1 on an automatic or standard shift truck to acquire your Class 1 license. you simply need a tractor or a truck pulling an air brake equipped trailer to qualify  for class 1. You must pass a written exam, a driver’s medical and air brake endorsement before you perform your road test for Class 1.

This is kind of different in North America than in Europe. The highest class of license that can operate just about everything except motorbikes is the class 1, the truck driving license. In Europe it is the Bus/coach driving license that is the higher class. I guess people are more important over there.



27 Responses to What can I drive with my Class 3?

  1. At 65, Capilano helped me complete my goal to learn how to drive a tractor trailer. Garry and Barry were my main instructors and their incredible knowledge and experence coupled with their patience paved the way for my successful completion of the class one road test. The fellas accommodated my need to analyze what I was doing and they explained in detail ” why”. The little money invested in the course will reap huge returns for me. Dale and John run a professional business and should be recognized for their contribution in making trucking a safe industry.

    • Depending on which version of Class 3, I would estimate $2000.00, depending on your ability. Do you have air brake training and endorsement already? our classroom courses average $200 a day, depending on which course. Thank you for considering Capilano Truck Driver Training!

    • I believe you are asking this from the USA. the Alberta Class three is comparable to the Class C in the States. that is to drive Heavy Straight trucks. The Class B AMerican style, would be an Alberta Class 2, which means you can drive Coaches and buses, people carrying vehicles, and Heavy straight trucks as well. does this answer your query?

    • The best we can do at night is from 5 – 7 pm. we teach air brakes on the weekend, and the written test has to be done at the registry, which can be done on Saturdays. what do you think?
      I also have to ask if you can back up a trailer? that is a very important skill that can redue your expense of training.

  2. Hi I’m planing on taking your class 3 or class 1 course in the near future, but I have some questions. I’ve never drove anything bigger than a 3 ton cube van and don’t have much experience backing up a trailer but am confident with my driving skill and think I could learn quickly with the right teacher. I’m only 20 years old, just got into the transportation industry about 6 month ago, loved big rigs my whole life and moved to Alberta to follow a dream.. But my question is do you think I should start out with my class 3 and get more experience driving bigger rigs or jump right in a get my class 1?

    • if you’re confident about backing a trailer, gather $2000-3000 and you will probably be successful in about 2-3 weeks for either your class one or class three. Start by taking the air brake course, a written exam and carry on from there.

  3. Hi,

    You mention above that a class 5 can still be used to make some decent cash in the oilfield. I’m up in Slave Lake and looking at a career change. Could you point me in the direction of some of the better companies? Email would be fine. Eventually I’d like to go for my class 1 but I want to get my feet wet. I’ve got a clean record in all aspects.

  4. I just wondering what is the procedure to get the driver instructor corse? Does it have a road test too? If so can you pls explain it Thx Dale

  5. I was wondering I am a 44 yr old women and would like to get into hauling in water truck and steamer units, what would I have to do. I also just here from Sask, would I have to get alberta license first?

    • Hello Rob,

      You can try Alberta Works, but we do not offer funding here at Capilano. Let me know if you have any other questions.

  6. Hi,I’m from Israel and I want to emigrate to alberta
    I have class c how can I work in Alberta with this license?
    Your answer is very important thanks

    • Hello,
      You would need to switch your license over to an Alberta driver’s license before working here. You would have to contact an Alberta Registry to find out what they would transfer your license to.

  7. Hello ,

    I have had my class 1 UK licence for 6 years and my straight truck licence for 8 years. I am currently driving 40-50 hours a week.

    what sort of price and package would be for me ? I would need the usual certificates to go with the licences.

    what sort of time scale to complete? I have a visa accepted and a work permit which is processing and will be complete in 3-4 weeks time.

    I am looking at dump truck work and vac work.

    thanks for your time


    • Less than 2000 dollars. Bring a letter confirming 2 years driving and you will convert your license to a car (license to a Canadian class 5 ) then study air brakes one day then write knowledge exams for both Air brakes and class 3, then pass a road exam for class three. After you establish residency by proving your living arrangements here. Reference service Alberta Registries for details. They are all little private shops doing government work.

  8. I have my class 5 Alberta Licence and I have been in Canada 3 years and I have been driving a shift stick vehicle since I was 17 and I am now 44.
    I am looking at getting my class 1 and air brakes licence.
    Could you give me some idea of cost and timelines.
    I work fulltime in Edmonton.

    • Hello Mark,

      Our courses are all listed on our website. For booking, just simply call 780-463-9664 for a start date. We’re usually about 2-3 weeks behind.

  9. Hi, I’m wondering. Taking a class one course, if I take it in an automatic, does that mean I’ll have a restriction on my license? I’m from Alberta, I’m a bit weary.

    • Hi Darren,

      Alberta does not have that restriction in place yet, for licensing. If you pass on the Automatic, your license will not reflect that.

    • in alberta there is no restriction on your license. if you move in the near future to another province, they may not transfer it straight across without restriction.

  10. Hi, I’m looking at applying for a firefighter position in the city and one of their prerequisites is a class 3 license with the Q. Would this be the only course for me to take even though I won’t be driving tractor trailers? Also was wondering how the road test for the registry would work. Do they do them through your company?

    • Yes we train for class 3 license. We also train class 2, which would allow you to drive the ambulance. Either would cost you between $1000-$1500 approximately, depending on your ability.

Leave a reply

(Be sure to check your spam folder!)